Monday, August 13, 2012

We are "Reserves of Love"


Serving the Sick in Assisi

I spent the month of July at the Sacro Convento in Assisi living with brothers in need of care. It was an intense experience that helped me to discover the value of caring for the sick. In a recent admonition given to all health workers, Pope Benedict XVI said that, yes, professional competence is necessary, but that this must also be accompanied by much humanity, in other words, love. Our elderly brothers give us the possibility to be “reserves of love.” I feel that this statement sums up well my own experience.

In caring for the sick, I can say that I give very little compared to that which I receive by listening to their experiences of religious life, lived out as a complete offering of themselves to their brothers. For me this is a treasure that I guard jealously, a treasure that enriches my experience of faith.

Our great saint Maximilian Kolbe said: “only love creates.” I can experience this love through my work at the front desk of the friary, receiving people who need the chance to talk, opening their hearts in asking the brothers to pray for a wide range of personal situations. It’s an important service that helps me become more grounded in vocation and at the same time makes me aware that the vocation is not a personal gift only for myself, but a gift to be placed at the service of my brothers. In this spirit and with certain faith in the help of God, I continue my life journey.

Peace and all good.

Friar Nicola Solente

No comments:

Post a Comment